African Peanut Butter Vegetable Stew
You can make this stew with any combination of vegetables – the more the merrier – it’s a great way of getting some of your 5 a day!
- Fry the onion and sweet potato in the oil until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, spices, bay leaves, red pepper and kale and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, peanut butter and black beans and stir well.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through, stirring frequently.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning – be generous with the black pepper!
- Serve on it’s own or with rice or cous cous and sprinkle with chopped coriander if desired.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sweet potato (approx.. 500g) cut into 2cm cubes
- 150g kale, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tin of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200g Proper Nutty peanut butter
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Salt & black pepper